What is it that you’ve always wanted to do, but just couldn’t seem to get moving on? Everyone has a list of things they’ve wanted to do, but somehow just never seem to get to…. popular culture has even given it a name… our Bucket List.
Here’s something from my personal bucket list:
EXHIBIT AT AN ART SHOW. Well, I’m about to do just that. And, I wonder what has taken me so long to take the steps necessary to accomplish this one tiny goal. What has stopped me? And… what is stopping YOU?
Here’s some things that have helped me move forward with this little vision of mine:
1. I told someone about it. Not just some ONE. I’ve told everyone I can think of. Now, I’m telling you, too. Talk about accountability. If you keep your goal a secret, it’s much easier to let yourself slide.
2. I just Started. Sometimes you don’t know how or what to do to get moving. You feel panic-stricken and frozen. So, just pick a point and start. Start anywhere. The flow will come.
3. I found a Cheerleader. Your little project may be important to you, but it may not exactly win approval from everyone (or anyone) in your circle. So, get a new circle. Find people who are like-minded. At least One. Sometimes all you need is just one cheerleader to keep you in the game.
4. I Took a Quick Reality Check. Is this something I can actually accomplish? Well, yes. I’m all for setting lofty goals, but it’s good, I think, to be sure they are attainable in the timeline you’ve set for yourself.
5. I’m OK With It. I realized this whole thing may not turn out like I planned. Try your hardest, put your self out there. And, remember, it may not turn out like you think. Be ready to accept whatever the universe hands you,and glean from the experience whatever you can.
So now, I’ve hung 5 tiny sketches in the studio to keep me going. To remind me, to take one step at a time. It’ll all be OK.